Kidneys are a crucial part of our body. They are responsible for maintaining fluid levels, managing electrolyte and salt balance, removing toxins, and many essential functions for a healthy body. In this article, we will discuss how summer can affect your kidney health and how you could cater your kidney to maintain its health.
Kidneys are one of the most essential parts of our body. It is responsible to manage the fluids in our body, and discarding the toxic waste from our system. Continuous blood is supplied to the kidney for its purification and maintaining the functionality of the kidney in the body.
The following are some factors that can impact kidney health:
- Summer season causes you to sweat a lot which can lead to dehydration.
- The function of the kidney is to maintain the fluids in the body. Dehydration pushes the kidney to work harder to maintain fluid balance.
- Dehydration can cause kidney stone formation. If not treated in time, these can damage the kidney.
- If the dehydration continues, it strains the kidney. It can lead to damage to the kidneys.
- Hydrate yourself with water, lemon juice, and other such fluids. It is advised to avoid sugar-rich, caffeinated, and carbonated drinks as they affect the function of the kidney.
- It is also advised to stay in when there is extremely hot environment to avoid dehydration.
- Electrolytes such as potassium, sodium, and magnesium are responsible for the efficient working of various body organs and functions.
- It is seen that excessive heat can affect the electrolyte balance of the body. The chain reaction that follows impacts many organs, one of them being the kidney.
- The work of the kidney is severely impacted because of this. Extended electrolyte imbalance causes severe damage to the kidney.
- It is a condition where the body gets overheated due to the external heat.
- It will affect the blood pressure leading to conditions like dizziness, nausea, and other issues.
- It impacts the function of the kidney significantly. Extended pressure on the kidney due to this condition can cause damage to the kidney.
One needs to make some lifestyle habits to keep their kidney health intact. Following are some of the precautionary measures and habits to cater to kidney health.
- Keep yourself hydrated. It is advised to drink at least 1 – 2 litters of water a day. It should be your priority if you lose body fluids excessively due to any reason.
- A healthy balanced diet is a must to maintain the functionality of the kidney. Opt for nutrients rich food options. It is advised to avoid food that is high in salt, fat, and sugar as they can strain the functionality of the kidney.
- If you suffer from high blood pressure or diabetes, you need to keep your health in check. Both these conditions affect your kidneys directly, thus regularly measuring and managing your health.
- Get a regular body check-up to keep your health in check.