There has been a rise in COVID–19 cases throughout the nation. The new variant of COVID, known as Arcturus, is said to be the main reason for the rise in cases. In this article, we will talk about this new variant: Arcturus, and all the necessary information you need to know.
Arcturus is the new variant of novel COVID that has triggered the rise in the cases of COVID in the country. It is the sub-variant of the omicron. It is also known as XBB.1.16 strain. Along with India, it has triggered the rise of COVID cases in 22 other nations.
The immunity acquired by the research and methods developed based on past variants of the virus seem to not be that effective for this variant. It is resisting the antibodies of the other COVID variants.
The lack of effect from the immunity developed seems to be the reason for the quick spreading of the variant. Compared to other variants this is spreading and infecting people quickly.
As per WHO, this variant may not be as threatening as the previous variants. This is because the variant hasn’t been seen to cause severe sickness. The variant has increased pathogenicity and infectivity.
Symptoms of the Arcturus variant:
Lack of taste and smell might not be a prominent symptom in this variant as it has become rare nowadays.
Like the previous variants, this variant too has a few common symptoms like
- Sore throat
- Runny nose
- Tiredness and soreness in the body
If the patient has an existing health condition then they may suffer some more serious problems such as issues in respiratory organs, oxygen level fluctuation, and breathing problems as well.
If you experience any symptoms, immediately get yourself tested at a testing center. Isolate yourself till your result is available to you.
There is a raising concern about the variant’s resistance to the immune developed from the research of the previous variants. Experts WHO have been watching and working on the variant.
Prevention measures are promoted to avoid the spreading of the variant.
Following are some of the prevention measures that everyone should keep in mind.
- The vaccine is essential to build immunity to fight back the variant. Ensure that you are vaccinated with all necessary doses.
- Wear a mask that covers from your chin to the nose properly and securely. You may use a cloth mask reusable mask or a one-time use medical mask. If using a reusable mask, keep it in a plastic bag and wash it properly at regular intervals. Wash or sanitize your hands before and after wearing a mask.
- Maintain a meter distance from people as much as you can. If not able to maintain distance, ensure to wear a mask.
- It is advised to wash your hand and sanitize them with an alcohol-based hand wash. Wash your hands at regular intervals.
- If you sneeze or cough, ensure to cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or handkerchief.